Thursday, April 14, 2011

Project Goal

       My goal is to learn more about traditional Dega music. Being a musician myself, I would very much like to learn more about this music. I would like to see how this music differs from the types of music I am exposed to everyday. Also, I would like to come to a better understanding about the role that the traditional Dega music plays in the lives of the Dega here in North Carolina. From what I have already learned through the video conference and other resources is that the younger members of the Dega community are rather uninterested in their traditional music. From what I have seen so far, the traditional music of the Dega seems mostly ceremonial or situational(for example, celebrations or funerals) and involves a wide range of instruments. It seems that the music is not harmonically complex, but there may be a lot to learn about the form of the music. I would like to personally work with members of the Dega community who know much about their traditional music. Ideally I could get in touch with Dega musicians who could give me a live performance of some of their music.
                                                                                                                                              


                                                                                                                                              Dega Music

No comments:

Post a Comment